MANHATTAN, Kan. (AP) — A fire at a Kansas State dormitory displaced about two dozen students.
University officials say the fire early Friday started on the fourth floor of Wefald Hall. All students were evacuated for about three hours. No injuries were reported.
Sprinklers extinguished the fire before firefighters arrived.
Manhattan officials say the fire apparently was caused by a faulty fan.
University officials say the fire caused $5,000 of damage to the building and $3,500 of damage to contents. Water also damaged some areas, prompting the school to relocate 24 students.
The coeducational dorm houses 540 students. It was built in 2016 on the west side of the Manhattan campus.
UPDATE: Students were allowed to return to their rooms after an early morning fire at Wefald Hall on the K-State Manhattan campus.
The fire was first reported at 6:26 a.m. on the fourth floor of the Wefald residence hall, according to K-State Police.
MANHATTAN — No injuries were reported in a Friday morning fire at Wefald Hall on Kansas State University’s Manhattan campus. The fire was extinguished by the hall’s suppression system, according to the K-State Police Department.
Students were evacuated from the hall and relocated to Kramer Dining Center.
Denison Avenue between Claflin Avenue and Platt Street is closed for emergency vehicles.