HUTCHINSON, Kan. — Hutchinson fire crews responded to a structure fire Tuesday morning.
The department says the homeowner was attempting to thaw frozen pipes in a crawl space with a heat source. The occupant exited the building, but did suffer minor smoke inhalation. Reno County EMS examined him on scene, but he refused to be transported to the hospital.
This is the second fire in two days in which someone has attempted to thaw frozen pipes. The Hutchinson Fire Department would like to remind residents, again, to never use an open flame or high heat source to thaw frozen pipes. If using an electric hair dryer or portable space heater to thaw pipes, keep away from flammable materials and never leave space heaters unattended. If you are unable to thaw the pipe, call a licensed plumber.
The Hutchinson Fire Department was assisted by the Hutchinson Police Department, Westar, Kansas Gas and Reno County EMS.