HUTCHINSON, Kan. — With the cold weather in place, people sometimes become inventive on how to stay warm. That includes electric space heaters to warm a particular area of the home.
Jason Holland, a fire science instructor at Hutchinson Community College and a former Hutchinson firefighter, talked about the dangers of using a space heater:
With these products using so much wattage, Holland says they can overload circuits, especially in older homes:
He says fires develop in homes eight times faster than in the past, meaning if a fire breaks out in your home, you only have three minutes to get out. Hall says it has to do with the way furniture and other products are made:
If you need tips on fire safety, including recommendations on using extension cords for your Christmas tree or other holiday lights, contact the Hutchinson Fire Department at 694-2871.