Posted 11 months ago
By Fred Gough
TOPEKA (AP) – Topeka firefighters have rescued a dozen people from a burning apartment building.
The Topeka Capital-Journal reports that the people became trapped late Saturday night in the upper floors of the structure. Ladders were used to rescue the trapped people as fighters fought the blaze.
The fire department said in news release that one victim was transported to a local hospital and later transferred to the University of Kansas Hospital in stable condition. Several others were treated and released at the scene with minor injuries.
Fire officials say the blaze started as a grease fire. Structural damage is estimated at $30,000 and content damage at $20,000.