Posted 2 years ago

By Fred Gough

After now Retired Judge Richard Rome ruled he had no jurisdiction to hear arguments for a 32-year-old Hutchinson woman’s effort to withdraw her no contest pleas in the 1998 death of her mother, she appealed and the Kansas Supreme Court. The case was scheduled to be heard by the high court on Wednesday. But, according to District Attorney Keith Schroeder, the case is already remanded back to District Court.

Tracie Miles had filed a motion with out a lawyer to withdraw her plea arguing the court refusing to do so would amount to “manifest injustice.” But, the judge agreed with the state that she had 1-year to file the motion and failed to do so. But, a Supreme court ruling in another case made it so she in fact did file it in a timely manner.

Miles was 17 when she and her 19-year-old boyfriend, Paul Nelson, were arrested for the murder of Miles’ mother, Sandra Kay Miles. Her body was found March 30, 1998, in her Hutchinson home. She had been struck with a wooden bear statue, then strangled. The two pleaded no contest to intentional first-degree murder, aggravated robbery and forgery, and received “hard 25″ sentences in 1999.

In her motion that she alleges she didn’t understand what she was doing when she entered the pleas. She says her lawyer at the time, Tim Frieden scared her by telling her if she didn’t take the plea, she could get the death penalty or a “Hard 40,” sentence. But, Schroeder argued at the time she was told of her rights.

Miles also argued in her motion that she was only 17 and proven to have a low I-Q by Psychologists Bruce Nystrom. She claims she had no idea what it meant to sign the plea, and claims Frieden coerced her in to signing the guilty plea due to his lack of knowledge in such a serious case, or just pure incompetency as a qualified attorney.

With the Supreme Court ruling sending the case back to Reno County, they are back to square one with her motion to withdraw her plea. That means the case will now be heard at some point by Judge Trish Rose.

6 Responses to “Case Against Hutch Woman Convicted In Mother’s Killing Coming Back To District Court”

1. chad durham says:

As if we havent lived this long enough. I am chad durham sandy miles son. Tracey has taken so much from my family. I have 6 children and 1 grandson that will never be able to meet their grandma and great grandma, not to mention my wife, myself, my aunts and cousins. Tracey and Paul took my mom away from all of us and all we have left are memories. Now tracey wants to get out of prison to try to start her life over again. I dont think this should happen. Ya she is my sister but if your gonna do the crime or participate then suffer the consequences. Stay in there where you belong

• Mindi Durham says:

My husband has lived through this once. He should not have to relive it. I’m at a loss for words that Tracie feels its her right to do this. She participated in some way, and I whole heartedly believe she could have saved her mom’s life after seeing her lying there dying, but instead she covered her with a robe and left her there to die, gurgling in her own blood. Her hands are just as dirty as Paul’s. she should carry out her sentence. The only good that can come of this is if the court grants her a longer, harder sentence. If by some small chance she does get out, she best stay clear of my family and expect NEVER to be part of our lives. She took more from my kids and my husband than has ever been taken from her. She is right where she belongs, even if she didn’t kill her mom. She could have saved her or prevented it.

2. Kathy Lovelady says:

I am Sandy Miles’ niece. I agree with everything that Chad said ! Tracey needs to stay where she is !

3. Too Much Government says:

Nicely said Chad. It must be hard for you to see this. Best of luck to you – even if Tracey gets a new trial — she may not like how that comes out. She’ll probably get convicted and the State will get another opportunity to lock her up — maybe even longer.

4. jenealle says:

Chad my heart breaks for you and your family. I am so sorry for all the pain your family has endured. I hope you all find peace and I agree she should not get out. I am sure your Mom is looking down on you and is very proud of the person you are and although your mom is not on earth you can share your memories of her with your children and grand baby ,not the same I know,but no one can take the memories…May you find peace and enjoy your family.

5. Wendy Stewart says:

wow, how about forgiveness? isn’t it bad enough that she to has suffered & lost her mom without her own brother condemning her. that she was forced to give up the child she was carrying? I was there when she had the abortion. her mental clarity was absent. I didn’t realize she was going through this alone. I will try my hardest to be there for her, now. I’m saddened.